Thursday, February 9, 2012

Our Love Story

Just call me a band-wagoner. :) In honor of Valentine's day coming up, I thought I would link up and tell our love story.


1. How long have you and your significant other been together?
We have been together for 11 years (minus that one year hiatus.)


2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}
Travis and I grew up together. We were in church choir together when we were little. However, when I was 17, I noticed him at track practice with some of his friends. I made the one off comment to a friend that he was cute. A few days later, he and I ended up sitting by each other at lunch. We flirted off and on during lunch. (Gosh...thinking about that lunch makes my heart flutter!) That weekend, we happened to be hanging out with mutual friends at the happening spot in our town (read: Fred's parking lot) We started talking and ended up cruising town together. He called me when he got home that night and we talked until 2 in the morning. The rest, my friends, is history.

3. If married, how long have you been married? If not, is this the guy you hope to marry? {do tell}
We have been married for 7 years....8 next month!

4. If you are married, where did you get married at? Big or small wedding? If not, where would you like to get married? And will it be big or small?
Travis and I got eloped in Eureka Springs at the Crescent Hotel. (Long back story to eloping...)

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!
I jokingly started calling Travis, "Travie". It kind of just stuck and now I catch myself doing it all the time. Travis only calls me "Bon" when I am over-reacting about something and it is in the context of "Now, Bon..."


6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.
I love that Travis is the most amazing and handsome husband and father.
I love Travis for being the calming voice of reason in our family. With a house full of girls, his even-keel personality is going to be a great asset in the teen years.
I love Travis's dedication. Anything he does is with 100% effort. I have never seen that man do anything half way. He's an "all-in" kind of guy.
7. Tell us how he proposed? Or your ideal proposal?
Travis proposed on Friday the 13th (February 2004). He had a huge plan of romance for Valentine's Day. But, apparently, the ring was burning a hole in his pocket. We were watching TV that evening. He walked in front of the TV and was staring at me. I told him to move because I couldn't see. Then, he got on one knee, said some sweet things about me/us and proposed. It was hilarious, and sweet...and so US!

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?
So, here's the thing about Travis. He has never really been a "gifts" kind of guy. Unfortunately, he married a "gifts" kind of girl. In the 7 years we have been married, he has gotten so much better about giving me things. But, Valentine's day is slightly before my birthday and a month before my anniversary, so it's kind of glossed over. So, I would say he's a card kind of guy. (Which I love!)
9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?
My goodness...prior to kids, I would have said a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl. Now, I will take any uninterrupted time with my husband I can get. These days, that translates into a movie and couch night. That's just the reality of where we are in our lives and I am SO good with that.


10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?
Travis and I both want to travel to Italy and Greece. He is fascinated with history and I love art. We are dying to take this trip together and will do it one day. Doesn't it just sound romantic too? 10 year anniversary sounds good to me...

11. Tell us what you plan on doing on this Valentine's Day.
We are planning on a night in with our little family. We usually get the girls some fun gifts and each other a card or something. I expect we will do that with a nice dinner cooked by yours truly.


12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's day?
Actually no. Like I said. My birthday is three weeks later. I cannot come up with a thing I want for my birthday, so he's pretty much on his own in the gift department. (GOOD LUCK, TRAVIE!)

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.
Be each other's best friend (As Travis calls it be on the same team). I quote Taylor Swift when I say in marriage:

"Life makes love look hard.
The stakes are high, the waters rough,
But this love is ours"

Remember that. Don't let plans/jobs/kids distance you from one another. Plans will fall apart. Jobs come and go. Kids grow up and get their own lives. But, your marriage and friendship will remain. So, keep it fresh, be each other's best friend and have regular sex. (Ok...that's three things...whatevs.)
14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.



No comments: