Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Father's Day Funny

Travis always mentions things here and there that he would like to have. I just store them in the memory bank until a holiday comes. He has mentioned several times that he wants a corn feeder to put on his lease for hunting.

The girls and I were talking about what to get him for Father's Day. I listed off a couple of things (among them was the corn feeder) and let them choose. The vote was unanimous. Travis needed a "corn teether" (per Hannah).

One day at lunch, I went to Academy to get his gift. After wandering around the hunting section for hours about ten minutes, I found what I was looking for. Of course, it was about 3 feet over my head and no one was around to help me get it down. I tracked two guys down who worked there. One guy was about 6+ ft tall. The other guy was about 5- ft tall. I asked if one of them could help me and the shorter guy was more than happy to oblige.

I showed him what I wanted and he climbed a ladder to get it down. Now, not only was this guy short, he was petite. The box was one of those awkward square boxes that even people with monkey arms can't get their arms into the right position to carry it and it weighed a ton. So, he struggled (at the top of a ladder!) for a bit and finally got it down and onto a cart for me.

(The whole time he was on the ladder, I was analyzing his weight and wondering if he fell would I be able to catch him or just break his fall.)

Now, I had the corn "teether" and just needed to get a couple of bags of corn to go with it. (Please keep in mind I was on lunch from work....in heels....in the hunting section...pushing a huge corn feeder around the store. Awkward.) I found some 50lb bags of corn and loaded them into the cart as a guy stood watching me because my giant cart was in his way. (Southern gentleman. I think not.)

Finally, I got what I needed and got out of the store. It was SO hot outside, as I walked to my car, I was sweating and wondering how in the WORLD I was going to hoist this massive thing into my car. I parked my cart right against my car and threw the bags of corn in. Then, I climbed into the back to fold the seats down. I figured I could pull the feeder into the car from where I was. So, I just grabbed a handle and yanked it into the car.

At this point, I was a hot mess. But, the car was loaded. Whew! As I was getting out of my car, my feet got hung on some lawn chairs and I lost my balance. I fell out of the back of the Acadia and landed booty first on the asphalt with my feet straight up in the air. My word! I was embarrassed (and it kind of hurt), but I jumped up in hopes that no one saw me.

WRONG! A man happened to be waiting for my spot and witnessed the whole thing. Unfortunately for me, he WAS a Southern gentleman and jumped out of his truck to make sure I was OK. In all my embarrassment, all I could muster was a "I'm fine. Thanks." I grabbed my purse, jumped in my car and drove off. (He moved the cart for me since I was obviously in too much of a hurry too banged up to do so.)

So, if you run across a You Tube video of a girl on the surveillance camera falling out of the back of her car, you now know the story. On the bright side, this could be my way of getting on Tosh.0 for a web redemption. :)

1 comment:

Connie said...

That's awesome! Glad you were not really hurt though!